CLOSED: MYA 2023
Are you interested in a creative career? Do you want to learn new skills and knowledge relating to sound and music? Would you like to meet artists, producers and industry professionals and create your own sound event?
Collective Rhythms questions what it means to be together through the use of sound. Through working with artists, producers and industry professionals we will explore how noise and the urban environment impacts our lives alongside the cultural significance of music in the borough. As part of this programme, young people will have the opportunity to create a collective sound piece that will be showcased to a public audience. Collective Rhythms will be guided by the following questions:
- What is the future soundtrack to Brent?
- How do we utilise sound culture in the borough to make new collective space?
- How do we use sound as a political platform to showcase urgent matters and bring young people’s needs and desires to the forefront?
About the opportunity:
Metroland Young Associates is a 3-month paid opportunity in Brent for 20 young people between the ages of 18-24, to develop skills and experience of working in the arts and creative industries. Young people will gain access to:
- Creative sessions with industry professionals
- Artist workshops
- Networking events
- Cultural trips
- A mentor to support you in your professional direction
- Professional development training
- Arts Award qualification
Who we are looking for:
- We are looking for 20 young associates, aged 18-24 from/based or with a connection to Brent
- Aged 18-24
- We ask that you commit Saturday’s between 22 April – 29 July 2023 and be able to attend most sessions
- Honest, reliable and punctual people
- Those who are passionate about and interested in making, experiencing, learning about any kind of art (visual, music, theatre, dance etc)
- Those who want to get involved in behind the scenes of an arts organisation
- An interest in collaborating and contributing ideas and enthusiastic about bringing projects to life
- Facing barriers to accessing these kinds of opportunities, recognising that the arts and creative sector is not equally accessible to people of all racial or socio-economic backgrounds, or to disabled people or people with caring and parenting responsibilities
- We offer £2,000 to attend 1 day/week at London Living Wage + additional funds for travel costs (paid in instalments and subject to consistent participation)
- Dates: First session is Saturday 22 April, last session is Saturday 29 July
Additional information and support:
- Click on the link below to view mock answers
- We will hold an online information session in the coming weeks to talk about the opportunity further. Sign up to our newsletter to find our more, click here.
How to apply:
You will need to complete an application form. If you prefer, you can make an application by video or audio recording – see the application form for more info. It is also possible for support workers or others to complete applications on behalf of interested young people.
DEADLINE: **Extended** Thursday 16 March 2023
If you get a place, there is an induction day to tell you more about the Metroland Young Associates programme on Saturday 22 April, timing and location – tbc.
Got any questions or need any help with the application process? Please contact the Metroland Cultures team at: MYA@metrolandcultures.com